Thursday, November 7, 2013

Toddler's Nature Trip


Who would have thought that a Garden would be this appealing to kiddos like me? For toddlers or young children who have not yet discovered their ability to plant and grow seeds, you might think that a Trip to San Diego Botanic Garden might be a little off for them. I thought so too...until I finally stood infront of marvelous Dragon trees (Dracaena draco)...and this was my favorite spot at the Canary Islands Gardens.

Dragon Tree at the Canary Islands Gardens

Normally, I would drag my parents to the playground right away, but surprisingly not in this area.  I suddenly became like a curious scientist and stared at the plants around me.  I saw a couple of Photographers, who seemed to be zooming their lenses to get close-up images of the leaves and branches of trees.  I thought it would be great to show here what we took pictures of.  It's amazing that my dad was able to capture birds and bees that appeared to be enjoying the company of such attractive flowers!





Then as my family explored the place, we followed a woman pushing her child on a stroller to a walkway that leads to yet another beautiful spot that caught my attention. There was a Victorian-looking Gazebo as the highlight of the walled garden.  I thought this is a nice venue for special events.  Just then I overheard my mom saying that SD Botanic Garden hosts Weddings and Birthdays.  This is great location if your Aunts, Cousins, Family Friends or Relatives are in search for a secluded place yet outdoor with the feel of Nature!



I saw other kids enjoying the place too!  I know that walking during the day could be tiring, but I guess the fine weather in San Diego really makes every tour worthwhile.  Plus having tall trees and lush tropical plants around really makes the atmosphere cozy and kid-friendly.



There was a cute wooden gate, that looked as if it was really built for kids.  Beyond that entrance, are a lot more eye-catching, colorful and vibrant flowers! Fuchsia Pink, Violet, Lavander, Lilac, Magenta, Bright Yellow, Deep Orange, Periwinkle Blue...NAME IT!  I will run out of specific adjectives to describe the exact shades of each petal I have seen here.  Beware Moms, your kids might be tempted to pick some of them from the stems.  And don't worry if you wanted to bring home some, there's a section of the Garden where you can buy your choice of plants.



Aside from the awesome flowers, there was also a must-see waterfalls from an overlooking fence. Just be careful kiddos!





As you tour the San Diego Botanic Garden, you will be amazed with not just the "living things" but also Works of Art that were really uniquely created.  There were Mosaics made out of pieces of tiles, rock formations and other handmade objects.  The Art pieces are accompanied by a plaque that features the Artist's name, a short description of the product and usually shows the amount with tax for interested buyers.  Available Artworks for sale can be inquired through SD Botanic Garden's office.

I just want to share my favorite one from my dad's collection of photos taken from our trips.  It is called the "Bench" by Alber de Matteis, a  powder-coated steel which really stood out at the Garden!


This Blog Post about our Nature Trip will be filled with beautiful photos if I will upload all of the amazing shots we took, so I just picked a few of the best to give you an idea of the place and make you want to discover it yourself.




Eventhough I said that the Garden is enjoyed by Adults and Children alike, it is great to tell you that there is really a Special Part of SD Botanic Garden meant for the Kids and must be visited on this trip.  You will surely be given a map by the entrance to help you explore the place.  But anyway, after your mom or dad unwind at the Nature area...It's all about kids this time!  Go to Hamilton Children's Garden!





Did you know that you can celebrate your Birthday Party at the San Diego Botanic Garden?  For Kids aged 5-12, the Hamilton Children's Garden is a more appropriate venue.  It looks like a Nature Museum outdoors!  There are so much hands-on activities for kids to explore and get busy with, or I should say even get their hands dirty with!  Plants all over the place, highlighted by the Interactive Tree House that is both a Playground and Educational venue where kids can play with unique musical instruments, climb up through ropes and net and lead you to hanging bridge and slides or simply unwind at the benches or Giant Wooden Chairs that made me imagine being "Goldilocks" sitting on Papa Bear and Mama Bear's huge chairs.  This is also where you can stay put while your mom or dad go for a bathroom break, which is close by.  For younger children aged 1-6, there is also the Seeds of Wonder , which is meant for Pre-School kids.  The Garden offers age-appropriate activities such as Toddler Tales and Tunes every Tuesdays, Garden Arts and Crafts every Wednesdays and Trains, Paints and Plants every Thursdays.  Be sure to check out the Time Schedule.

 http://sdbgarden.org/seeds_wond.htm
 http://sdbgarden.org/hcg-home.htm
 http://sdbgarden.org/birthday.htm

As you leave San Diego Botanic Garden,  you Kiddos and your Mom or Dad both have precious moments to cherish from this trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment