Saturday, November 2, 2013

Zoom Into SD Zoo


Did you miss out on #kidvasion that happens during the whole month of October in San Diego?  Oh well, it is November now and the amazing privileges such as Free Admission given to us kiddos in almost all of the Must-See Attractions in San Diego, California like San Diego Zoo have gone by...

San Diego Zoo Zebras


but not to worry... There's so much more to look forward to in America's Finest City!  For one, being blessed with a close-to-perfect climate all year-round is Priceless!  Hanging-out at the playground or unwinding by the beach, enjoying the sunny but breezy weather is already worth the trip, what more if you get to visit Tourist Destinations, Historical Landmarks and Famous Theme Parks with your family.




If you have read my previous Blog Post, I kinda mentioned that I'm not a Zoo person. Might be because of the long tiring walks, the smell or simply that I am not so fond of wild animals...I guess all of us are just curious to look at them...but do you really want this lion to stare at you?


lion king


But if you are visiting San Diego, California for the first time, you should check out SD Zoo at least once.  I've also mentioned in my previous post that one thing special about this zoo is having Bai Yun, the First Successfully Born cub by a Giant Panda at the Wolong Giant Panda Research Center China.


Panda Bear

Guess what, if you follow the Instagram of @SanDiegoZoo,
you would be excited to know that it regularly announces Instagram Challenge wherein a "phone-ographer"(as they call it) who hashtags
a picture or video of kids' encounter with the zoo animals could win a weekly Special Zoo Package such as Backstage Pass or Behind-the-Scenes Pass for 4 during the Kids Free Month.



I actually saw some Instagramers, who posted photos of their encounter with Giraffe, Polar Bear, Turtles and more.

San Diego Zoo
















There were also some who shared photos taken by the Cheetah Run or Safari Park Ride and seeing Rhinos up close.

Why am I telling this eventhough October is over?  It's because SD Zoo has regular Promotions like this as done last Summer with their #Nighttimezoo theme and now #kidsfree.  Who knows, it will announce something for the Holidays?!  And as promised, I will show more photos of different kinds of animals I encountered while touring the Zoo with my family.

You will easily see the Peacocks that are located at the front as you enter.  With their vibrant colors and "show-off" mood while freely roaming the walkways of the zoo, opening their wings every now and then, they surely catch everyone's attention.


























A little walk down the road, you will appreciate San Diego Zoo more for having the largest colony of koalas.  I was told by my mom that it has the most number of koalas born outside Australia which was about 123 "joeys" or counting maybe. They are nice to look at while some are climbing fresh branches and eating eucalyptus leaves and others are sleeping.  I saw from the +San Diego Zoo website that they want to give back to the koalas and provide them a new home. So if you want to be a part of Koala conservation, @SanDiegoZoo is accepting donations for this cause.

Below are more pictures of different species found at San Diego Zoo.  Let me know which one is your favorite okay?



Pink Flamingos
Mandazzi


Polar Bear in Sunny San Diego?! YES it is!  But San Diego Zoo sure knows how to treat them well!  This place is made to seem like the Arctic, as if they are in their own Tundra habitat.  (or at least from what I observed).  I saw them at the pool, where there is both underwater viewing room and outdoor viewing that follows the water level upto the beach area.

Polar Bear
Polar Bear at the Conrad Prebys Polar Bear Plunge


vulture









Another Favorite of kiddos like me is the Giant Elephant statue. I run underneath its huge legs while other kids climb up to its tusks.  I wonder if we will all still surround it if it is alive?! I don't think so!

giant elephant

So what else can kids do at the San Diego Zoo?  I find it cool to be able to check out and ride the blue helicopter parked near the arctic area.  Boys and Girls alike took turns to have a feel of being a chopper pilot or at least to take pictures.



There's a Souvenir Shop where kiddos like me can buy cuddly stuff toys that resemble the zoo animals like polar bear, owl, etc. or scan through the pages of Books and choose what to buy as keepsake of the tour.

Souvenir Shop

Taken Outside San Diego Zoo
as we paid for Admission Ticket

Elephant OdysseySan Diego Zoo


Just a piece of Friendly advice, visit the Zoo if you have School-aged Children.  It will surely be an Educational and Exciting Trip for them, but not for babies or toddlers.  I witnessed the burden of parents pushing strollers and carrying babies and holding older siblings by the other hand.  Yes, you could ride the Bus Tour, but imagine folding the strollers or carrying them and kids by the steps.  There's an escalator to transfer to the other part of the Zoo but after that are stairs again.

san diego map
san diego escalator


The last section of the Zoo that we visited is the Lost Forest with the Glass Viewing of animals.  I saw some Turtles and Warthog or Visayan Warty Pig and Albino Burmese Python.

Albino Burmese Python

I got too tired and hungry already.  I don't know why food at the zoo did not seem appealing to me that our family decided to just go out and look for a great Fine Dining restaurant.  But if you will copy us, be sure to put time allowance to find your desired restaurant outside Balboa Park, because it will be a long search for the nearest one.

san diego zoo elephant


Again, eventhough I'm not a Zoo Person, I can say that visiting San Diego Zoo is Worth the Trip!  It is not as dirty, not as smelly or filthy as other zoos. So for Animal lovers, Researchers or Adventurers, I recommend to pay a visit to San Diego Zoo +San Diego Zoo and take pictures like what my family and I did as remembrance of my daily travels.  You too can make a difference...
https://secure3.convio.net/sdzoo/site/Ecommerce/1132815687?FOLDER=1100&store_id=1401
By the way, Follow me at Instagram @kiddoinsandiego and www.facebook.com/kiddoinsandiego. Stay tuned for my next San Diego Trip Blog Post okay? HUGGY!

No comments:

Post a Comment